Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Historical Inspiration Festival - Part 1

Story of A Seamstress is hosting a Historical Inspiration Costume Festival.  She has kindly invited doll costumers to participate - so I'm putting up a few of my 'historically inspired' outfits!


Introducing Jane:


Jane was inspired by two specific items of clothing:

Elizabeth Bennet's scrunchy bonnet from the A&E production of Pride and Prejudice



and Anne Elliot's spencer jacket from the 1995 made-for-television adaptation of Persuasion.


The dress is sewn in cotton voile, based off of the AG regency-era patterns.  The spencer jacket and bonnet I drafted myself, and sewed in silk shantung.  A small gold-and-swarovski turtle pin is fastened to the bodice of the jacket. The sleeves of the spencer are not strictly period; this was the first historical pattern that I drafted for myself - before I'd begun to study historical fashion styles.

The spencer back detailing is delicious: hematite 'buttons' fasten down a flare in the silk -



that leads into a lovely full fall of fabric in the skirt.


The bonnets is gathered along three rows of wire, pulling it in for a delightful scrunchy look.

1 comment:

  1. Those colors are so vibrant! and I love the shirred bonnet!!

    ReplyDelete