Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Butterick Bonnet - that ALMOST was.


Last year I used Butterick Pattern #4210 to make an American Girl scale 1860s bonnet.
Mr Tabubil scanned the pattern pieces at work, and I imported them into autocad and traced and scaled them down to AG doll size.

I wish to go on record as saying that I loathe this pattern; several of the pieces didn't fit and had to be totally re-drafted.  That's ridiculous.
I sewed it from buckram, mulled it with flannel and covered it with pink silk duponi and white silk satin.  I don't like using glue (as per the pattern instructions) so I sewed it completely by hand - and something about the way this pattern held together - or didn't hold together - has made it take FOREVER to assemble.
And worse, all those hours down the track, I found that I'd forgotten to account for the mulling or the lining  - and the darned hat, at the end of all, doesn't actually fit the doll.


It was intended to be worn with Bella, but I can't seem to summon the enthusiasm to finish it.

Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment