Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Silk Mitts




Naturally, now that I'd made a cape and muff I needed a pair of silk mitts to match. The muffs are made from the same white tissue taffeta as the muff casing, fused to a soft woven interfacing for stability during the embroidery. (In retrospect, it would have been more sensible to embroider 'em on a hoop before I cut them out).


For fastenings I settled on corded embroidery cotton strung through eyelets. Which meant I had to learn how to sew eyelets. 



I played with awls and embroidery floss until I had it figured enough to wing it.  The first four eyelets on the left-handed mitt were reasonably scrappy, but at number 5 the technique fell into place and if the rest aren't exactly exactly oil paintings, they are perfectly serviceable and respectable enough to hold up their heads in polite company and I am extremely proud of them!




(Yes, I know she's wearing a regency era dress.  Let's not quibble, okay?)

No comments:

Post a Comment